Devora Schapiro

Psychiatry: Site Visit Summary

For psychiatry both site evaluations were over zoom along with another student. In the first evaluation we each presented a case and answered questions posed to us by the site evaluator. In the second one we each presented an additional case as well as a journal article related to the case. 

In the first visit I presented a case of a 67-year-old female with paranoid schizophrenia. The second time I presented a case of a 19-year-old female with impulsiveness, volatile relationships and likely borderline personality disorder. 

The journal article I chose to present was in conjunction with my second case, it was a randomized control trial of dialectical behavioral therapy in borderline personality disorder. The main outcome being studied was decreased incidence/decreased seriousness of suicidal behavior and non suicidal self injury. This was my first time reviewing a research article on psychotherapy, and I appreciated the in depth conversation I had with the site evaluator regarding these types of trials methods. We additionally discussed how it could be ethical. 

It was valuable to have another student on the evaluation, as I was able to learn from this case presentations and journal article.