Devora Schapiro

Obstetrics and Gynecology: Rotation Reflection

My Women’s health rotation has been my favorite rotation thus far in my clinical experience. I really enjoyed that I got to experience all aspects of women’s health, both inpatient and outpatient. I did my rotation at a hospital in Queens which had an inpatient labor and delivery floor, an inpatient gynecology team and an outpatient obstetrics and gynecology clinic. 

I saw a wide variety of cases. My first week was a week of overnights in which the team covered all aspects of obstetrics and gynecology care inpatient. I saw ectopic pregnancy and laparoscopic salpingectomy, missed abortions, intrauterine growth restriction, abnormal uterine bleeding, and vaginal deliveries. In my second week I was with the gynecology team and did a 24 hour call shift. I saw laparoscopic hysterectomy, ruptured ectopic pregnancy, dilation and curettage, dilation and evacuation, hysteroscopies and more vaginal deliveries. In weeks three and four I got to experience the outpatient clinic. I performed and assisted with annual GYN visits, obstetric visits throughout the various trimesters of pregnancy, nexplanon removal, IUD placement, birth control counseling, high risk obstetrical cases, sexually transmitted infections, and Rh negative patients who were antibody positive. My final week was on labor and delivery I attended postpartum, antepartum and post caesearan section rounding, I saw PROM and PPROM, preeclampsia, trisomy 18, and inevitable abortion. I performed labor and delivery triage and assisted in several caesarean sections. 

On this rotation I got to perform several procedures and examinations that I had not done on previous rotations including delivery of placenta, speculum examinations and bimanual examinations, pap smears, breast exams, abdominal ultrasounds, fetal doptone monitor, measurement of the fundal height and assist in cesarean sections and vaginal deliveries.  This was the first time I had scrubbed in and assisted with a procedure in the operating room. It was a really valuable experience. My next rotation will require being in the operating room quite often so I am looking forward to getting more experience with assisting with surgeries.  For future rotations I will continue to work on my patient presentations, physical exam and procedural skills. I will have ample opportunity to work on these goals in my next rotation of surgery.